Friday, September 04, 2009

Unusual Visuals

One day I woke up...
and the thought upon waking, grew into a dream...and the waking dream grew into a vision and the vision became a goal - become a master of rendering dreams and vision into physical manifestation. Ha! So that's when I decided to become a VJ, amongst many other things.

So I'm learning. It's a process. In part inspired by my mother's paintings, in other ways by the mind bending sound of some of the musicians I've seen recently. One day I will not so much write about it, as much as be a factor in creation. For now, while I dig deeper into the creative process, this will be the beginnings of a visual archive of interesting visualizations and digital design.

The first of many I've stumbled across recently is this clip paired with Psykovsky and Deja Vu's composition "only love". Tripped out bugs and snakes in a cave is not my idea of beautiful - but this piece managed to capture my imagination regardless. The epiphany of it really struck me. The complexity of the visual FX rendering was fascinating.



On the other hand... actual visual representations of music is another intrigue. This spectrogram of a cello concerto by Shostakovich is also a stunning abstract painting in motion. If it where not the 21st Century and Emily Carr were alive to hear it, I'm positive she would paint forests to the tune of Shostakovich.



Speaking of cello, music and deriving beauty from unlikely places. This piece disturbed the shit out of me, but grabbed hold of my insides and wouldn't let go till I'd watched the whole thing.



We are odd creatures. ...one day myself, a synth, cello and some digital recording equipment are going to sit down and make something beautiful...that isn't stomach churning.

~I.B.

1 comment:

  1. On that note: The clip to the right entitled "The Skalinskis vs Koyaanisquatsi" is one of my long time favorite pairings of audio/visual content.

    ReplyDelete