Sunday, January 03, 2010

Music & Passion


This piece was composed while listening to the album Caesura. As has been happening lately, I couldn't tell you the name of the song. I was lost somewhere beyond words in my mind while painting and rendering this image. I started out painting the colour and shape of sound and have since been slowly drifting into painting over all impressions, emotive tones of songs lately. It's taking some discipline to stay focused and present in the process, as I'm trailing off to memories and far away places while listening and painting.

Benjamin Zander's TED Talk on Music and Passion is one of the most marvelous and funny discussions of music and passion I've ever heard. In it he describes the power of classical music to evoke memory and transformation. It's quite beautiful and inspiring, I'd recommend checking it out.

Will be making some prints of more recent works and then moving on to other projects. Looking forward to doing some sort of live, performance painting soon. Will post updates on that front.

No comments:

Post a Comment