Wednesday, August 26, 2009

DJ Kaminanda: A Synesthesiacs Dream



The first set I'd ever seen by Stephan Kaminanda, in B.C. he was laying down tracks, layering sounds and bouncing beats like he was live painting for his audience. His music has the quality of drawing, colour, shape, flavour and emotion right out of your imagination. Holds the capacity on occasion to reach right into the far ends of one's mind and illicit deep sensory pleasure. When I think of Kaminanda's beats, colour, rain, lush green,  and eerie other worldly forests emerge upon my imagination like planetary rises. Some of his tunes taste like passion, others fruit and perfume on my tongue and it makes me want to move. I sense Kaminanda could take you on walks across spirit landscapes, dream-scapes and right into the realms of true trance with his music.

While he loses himself to sounds, the shear sensuality of his compositions make the audience lose themselves to their senses too. He can make a beat seem like an enchanted bubble drifting through the room, or a coloured orb bouncing about, giving birth to other colours, light, and electricity. Ribbons of energy and flow. And just when you think it couldn't get anymore interesting, he's prone to pulling out live instruments and dancing in the audience.

I highly recommend seeing him live. First DJ I've ever seen to live layer into his set electric guitar loops and rhythms.

As dawn broke over this first set, a warm coloured sun rose. The rhythms kept pumping steady chill beauty; and I swear I saw him make ropes and threads of his sound to keep the people dancing. Working the sound into captivation and caresses. He's the master of some intoxicating sound, and if you're a psydub, synesthesiac freak like me, it's brain candy. Check it out.

~Isis B.

No comments:

Post a Comment