Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My new favourite word: Psychedelidoowop

This is not the definition of psychedelidoowop. In fact I am not sure there really is a definition - it is as of yet undefined; a genre in the making I am sure.

In chilling other news, I discovered one of the most heartbreaking sounds I've ever heard, this morning. It was that of a life ending *CRUNCH* under my left foot, as I turned to leave my front door. My heart and gaze plummeted. I instinctively jumped a foot in the air and shreaked, recoiling in horror at what my great lumbering mass had perpetrated.

Snails are, in my mind, among the most precious creatures on this earth. I keep fond memories of fascination with them close to my heart. I have so much respect for their soft independent sentience. Their shells remind me always of the divine proportion or the golden ratio. I am deeply humbled by their tiny beauty. I am so drawn to their perfect little habitats that it inspired a recent book purchase: Worldview Skills: Transforming Conflict from the Inside Out because the golden shell on the cover caught my gaze and I was instantly intrigued.

When I had left my house to visit friends in the evening, I felt honored to discover a snail had made the remarkable trek up the frame of my front door. - I greeted it resting level with the door handle. I thought I was being gentle to its existence by leaving it be, where it was. By the time I had arrived home sometime after ten, it was no longer anywhere to be seen and I hoped it had found greener pastures...so to speak.

Unfortunately I discovered, much to my horror, this morning it had found its way into my house and under foot. Although, it might seem odd in the great scheme of things, I am still struggling to come to terms with the fact that I killed this poor little creature. A dear friend helped me take it out and find a peaceful resting place for it, amongst flowers, petals and leaves and we said a snail-sized prayer.

I'd like to imagine a world where the life of all livings things is thought of as so precious, where there was time for grieving of all losses, and honoring of the cycles of life and death.

Be well all my relations...


May the humble breathing of all life on earth be honored someday soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment